Tuesday, March 9, 2010




THE STARTER:
FITNESS.STYLE.MUSIC.FOOD.

The heat has never been this pressing before, and THE EDGE's STARTER is cooling you down for a HOT summer to come.
Dip your feet in Nike's cool, cool new shoes (the Pepper Lows), welcome guest contributor Javi Marcalain and listen to his top ten tunes for the month, taste ESQUIRE's recipe for a summer drink, check out GQ's guide to buying glasses and what jewelry designer Philip Crangi has to say about wearing them, and finally set your mind and body to work with this season's old-school, tried and tested recipe to a fit body.
Here's your ultra-fresh and cool formula to summer...
>>> MARC JACOBS: Simple, Clean & Cool
True, summer is all about the nautical stripes, the navy blues and whites. And true, Marc Jacobs' Spring/Summer 2010 collection has all these elements intact. Instead of opting for loose clothing this summer, give MJ's formula for Spring a try: It's sleek, so it's approriate for both day and night, it's simple which is ALWAYS a YES for THE EDGE, it's clean which makes every man look ten times better and it's cool...OF COURSE, anything MJ is cool. Looking simple, clean and cool for summer should be exactly the same frame of mind one should be in.


>>>> RUNNING: For the mind & body
I've been running around in a chunky grey hoodie for the past two months and the amount of weight I lost is amazing. Not only have I lost some unwanted fat, I also have developed better lungs---if that's the right term for it. But what makes running about the streets at night pleasurable (instead of awfully painful) is the relaxation I get out of it. While I run, I had learned to focus my attention on other things, instead of minding my aching calves and feet. I get to schedule my week while heading faster, I get to phrase lines for my play in my head while slowing down, I get to think about future projects to do, I even get to study while running. Running has also taught me to set goals and pursue them. From a pathetic two rounder with pauses from day one to a non-stop three rounder in a consistent speed, I have disciplined myself to do things and achieve something. This has also helped me do things better for school and for life, in general.
Now, tell me, are there still better reasons to NOT exercise and run your ass around?



>>>> PHILIP CRANGI on glasses

When did you get your first pair of frames?
-Boca Raton, Florida, in the 4th grade. They were oversized frameless aviators with an amber fade.

How many pairs do you currently have in rotation?
-I have five pairs of glasses, and my favorite is The Moscot by Sol Moscot. But—full disclosure—I got laser eye surgery, so now they're just museum pieces.

Who's the coolest-looking person to ever wear glasses?
-David Hockney.

Any glasses dos or don'ts?
-Glasses are a great accessory, so don't pretend you're not wearing any. Or just go get laser eye surgery. I'm happy to recommend a doctor.
source: GQ





>>> DRINK THIS: Esquire's Mint Julep

Ingredients:
- Mint
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 3 ounces bourbon
Instructions:

Place 5 or 6 leaves of mint in the bottom of a prechilled, dry 12-ounce glass or silver beaker. Add sugar and crush slightly with a muddler. Pack glass with finely cracked ice. Pour a generous 3 ounces of Kentucky bourbon over the ice. Stir briskly until the glass frosts. Add more ice and stir again before serving. Stick a few sprigs of mint into the ice so that the partaker will get the aroma.
Still not enough mint flavor? Try this: For each julep, lightly cover about 10 sprigs of mint with superfine sugar, add an ounce of spring water, macerate, let stand for 10-15 minutes, and strain through a fine sieve into the ice-filled glass. Then add whiskey and proceed as above. If you'll stoop to maceration, you might also want to float 1/2 ounce of dark Jamaica rum on top.


source: ESQUIRE


>>>> Javi Marcalain's Top Ten Tunes
Since summer is quickly and persistently approaching, I decided to compile a beached out playlist. Here are my top picks for an awesome summertime.

i. Neon Indian – Deadbeat Summer
This song makes me you feel as if you were lying down naked in the beach staring at the sky with your yellow-lens wayfarers feeling the dizzying heat of the hot sun and sand in your body, feeling the sweat trickling down your face and everything is so peaceful because you’re fucking drunk out of your head and quietly enjoying the solitude and the sound of waves crashing by the shoreline.

ii. Girls – Lust For Life
The feeling: like sitting down in the beach enjoying a bonfire with friends while watching the sunset in the horizon, sipping some good cold beer and eating some amazing cheese pizza. Chris Owens’ drowsy worn-out voice is addicting to listen to, and at the same time, it’s so captivating that you feel lost in reverie.
.

iii. Shout Out Louds - Normandie
The perfect getaway song. Pack your bags and just sail away out into the limitless ocean…leave everything behind. Take in the persona of Alexander Supertramp and just live life away from the city.

iv. Washed Out – Feel It All Around
This song just brings me back to the beach every time I listen to it. It makes you feel like you’re just stranded at sea, floating so peacefully in the middle of the ocean, completely absent from any fears or quandaries, while enjoying the burning heat of the sun and relaxing chill of the water.

v. Toro Y Moi – Blessa
It’s the summer slumber song, with its warped out grooves, hazy melodies, and blurry vocals: the feeling of just lying down a hammock completely spaced out while listening to the perpetual and repetitive crashing of waves by the shoreline in the background.

vi. The Drums – Let’s Go Surfing
Just like the video, the song makes you wanna run around the beach aimlessly but even more so, it makes you actually wanna go surfing! It’s a cool upbeat song.

vii. Minus The Bear – Pachuca Sunrise
A romantic summer song is all I can say for this track.

viii. Miami Horror - Sometimes
“Fly away, get lost and never be found”. The video for this song was dreamy and felt like an excerpt from a movie. It was amazing and fit the song so perfectly. It depicted young lovers escaping into a deserted island; a paradise to be free. And ever since, when I listen to this song, this is all I think about.

ix. Kings Of Convenience – Me In You
I can just imagine watching them play by the beach…that would be awesome.

x. Taken By Trees – My Boys
A really cool take on Animal Collective’s “My Girls”. It’s definitely less psychedelic and more relaxing and melodic.
-J.M.



>>>> COOL KICKS: Nike's Pepper Low

This summer, my choice of footwear would probably be brown leather sandals for incredibly laid-back walks and my trusty pair of beat up Sebagos. BUT, with Nike's new Pepper Low---cool name by the way, in such tempting colors, light grey and an ice cream blue, I might allow myself some new kicks and a new style. What's not to love about Nike's pared-down, simple and no-brainer design? A plain white shirt, light-washed jeans and ice cream blue Pepper Lows...Summer style can't get any more cooler than that.

source: Highsnobiety

No comments:

Post a Comment